Saturday, January 31, 2009

First Month of My List is Nearly Complete...

With a month nearly  behind me, I'm still very excited and inspired by my list.  I feel that overall I've been doing pretty well.  There's always room for improvement, of course, but let's count the good things first, huh?  

I've crossed off 3 items on my list- numbers 85, 96, & 97.  Victories!  

Altogether, I'm currently working on 23 other items... wow, that's a lot all at once!  I really do enjoy having goals.  And this experience, while it's only been about 30 days, has really opened me up to learning about and attempting new things.  I'm enjoying stepping out of my comfort zone, and I'm trying to just relax about everything in general.  Life's funny like that, you know? 

 I must admit, working at the library is just spectacular!  I'm really reading again for the first time in years.  I'm reading things that I've never read before, which is pretty awesome as well (I tend to re-read and re-read...).  I've read 21 books this month (since Jan. 5th), and I'm well into 3 others.  That's actually something I could scale back on... haha.  Goals are easy, limits are hard.  

My husband and I have both enjoyed trying to get rid of our VHSs.  We really enjoy our movie collection, but let's face it- tapes are practically obsolete.  It will be a while before we get them all replaced.  There's one in particular- The 60s, a mini-series that was on NBC about 10 years ago.  Finding it on DVD is doable, the price tag is not.  Apparently, it's really rare.  Ah, challenges!!

Item # 99- This was fantastic!  I was working at B & N in the cafe the other night, and my friend Lauren and I were talking about poetry.  I was describing my favorite poem (The Cremation of Sam McGee, Robert Service) when a customer came up.  I told her I would finish telling her about it after he left because it's an epic and very interesting poem.  However, this customer-guy starts reciting the poem!!!  It was such a beautiful moment, I swear my mouth dropped open and my eyes welled up.  Anyhow, that's one out of five.  And also, read Robert Service- it's wonderful.

It's all the big things and the little things, and the people who are interested and willing to help me out.  My husband is great at making sure we use only cloth napkins, and the wonderful women at Curves are really supportive, not just in exercise, but with everything I've been doing on the list.  

Speaking of Curves, it's one of the things I really need to start going full force on.  I've been worn out the past two weeks because of a sinus infection and working two jobs, but I don't want to make excuses, I just want to tap into that part of me that goes all out on everything.  Same with yoga- it really does energize you for the day.

Anyhow, wrapping up this post and this month, here are a few of the highlights:

Attempting to donate blood- it was an experience that probably would keep most people from doing it again, but it just makes me laugh.

High-fiving a stranger... so much fun!

Donating rice- almost 120,000 grains this month. 

Sticking to saving money from our checks specifically to put towards bigger credit card payments.

Trying eggplant- turns out, it tastes like tomatoes, I thought.

And finally- reading, reading, reading!!!!

Keep the hope alive,

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment