Monday, September 6, 2010

A long pause... then an update!


Hello Everyone!

2010 has been a long year so far... and a somewhat difficult one. Lots of wonderful things have happened with a few not so wonderful things... not a bad balance!
Shortly after my last post, I began to suffer from insomnia. What a horrible, horrible thing. For three months straight, I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. And the sleep I got was more of a waking sleep, definitely not sound. I watched a LOT of television during this time. I was incredibly grateful that the Olympics were on... I think I saw more than most of the newscasters. I watched during the regular scheduled time, and then starting around 2-3:00 am, I saw it again! Thank the Lord! I love the Olympics. Always have, always will.
Another coping technique I dove into during that time was the act of painting my nails. Not sleeping takes a toll in many areas of life. One day at work, my boss actually thought I was drunk. Why? Shaky hands, vacant eyes, stumbling around. Painting my nails steadied my hands. I threw myself into learning about nail polish and finding new colors and blogs and friends. The nail polish blogosphere is incredibly kind and supportive. It allowed me to focus for a little bit and forget about not sleeping. I changed my polish every day, and even now, nine months later, I am still engrossed in the world of nail polish!
So, now I'm on an anti-anxiety medicine (not sleeping for me=panic attacks) and doing much better. I still get worried sometimes that it'll come back and I'll be in that not really living place again, but for now, things are good. I've also finished my first year at DePaul University. It has been much more difficult than I ever thought it would be, but that's great, because school has never been challenging for me.



This is me, at my sister's graduation a few months ago... my mom and sister both wanted me to pose because "it's my school too!" This is me laughing, because I can't ever keep a straight face around my mom and sister.
Let's see... other things that have happened this year? Gramma in and out of the hospital, almost died... my dad in and out of the hospital, my husband's dad needing surgery after a fall. I spent about a month in Door County (without my husband, sad face) helping my in-laws at their hotel after my father-in-law's fall. I left my library job to have time this summer to concentrate on school and my jewelry business. And my oldest brother got married last month to a wonderful woman! In about a week, my sister will be headed to London to live. Everything always happens so quickly! This year has been crazy. Plenty of good to outweigh the bad. Any troubles I've had have drawn me closer to some amazing new friends. Life is good.
Anyhow, that's a life update... brace yourselves for the list update!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment